Monday, January 16, 2012

A piece of HUMBLE PIE?

A piece of HUMBLE PIE?
I guess I needed a piece of that pie?

Though I would have rather eaten this piece...

Caramel Macchiato Cheesecake, BEST cheesecake, EVA!

But instead...I got a piece from here!  
There she is...my lane I started in!  Nice, huh?

In good news I finally moved up after putting in a couple weeks in the slower lane.  I'm not complaining at all.  It was a great place to start and I loved my lane.  I will actually probably visit every now and then.  

I was stoked for the challenge and to speed up...and good thing...because I GOT IT! I wouldn't say I am cocky about my swimming abilities, but I will say its the sport I'm best at and sometimes when you are good at something, you think you are GOOD.  But then you swim with others and realize that maybe I'm not as GOOD!  I was so bummed that I had forgot my heart-rate monitor because my heart-rate was up the entire swim.  I was out of breath and being challenged in a new way.  I was trying to make sure I kept good form, correct strokes, while keeping up with the people in my lane.  Then the people in my lane put fins on and I had none!  Do you know how hard it is to keep up with fins when you have NONE?  Take my word for it...hard and impossible.  I couldn't keep up.  I'm not sure how I feel about using fins?  What are your thoughts?  Do you use them?
Here is the speedy culprit!
I like the idea of just using my body?  But maybe I'm missing something and should look into it.  I have also thought about purchasing swim paddles.  Read below on what they say about them.
Strokemakers were engineered to improve your swimming stroke while limiting stress on your shoulders.

The paddles improve your stroke in the following ways:
• They increase distance per stroke by inhibiting early recovery.
• They strengthen swimming specific muscles as well as muscles used in water propulsion.
• The holes and flexible design of the paddles improve the swimmer's feel for the water.
• The paddles exaggerate to the swimmer both correct and incorrect movements.


Yah, I think I need to get those!  What do you think?  Have you used these?

My first day in a faster lane was exhausting and awesome all at the same time.  I started out nervous and anxious and ended with a lot of calories burned and the confidence that I can do this!  Masters Swim has been great for me because I'm improving on my stroke and efficiency. Duh, WINNING!

I'm very excited to be pushed past my comfort zone!  It's nice being the fastest person in the slow lane, but I learn way more being the slower person in the fast lane!

Where would you rather be? 

4 comments:

Marlene said...

Swimming with faster people is definitely the best way to get faster - same as with running. :)

I used fins when we do kick sets, not to make me swim faster but because they build leg strength. Just wait and see how pooped your legs are after one length wearing those bad boys! I have the paddles too - fun! :)

Awesome job, girlie!!

Jen said...

Swimming is my most dreaded thing because I am not good at it at all! So I don't have any advice for you, but I do think you are a rock star for getting out of your comfort zone and doing it!

5 Miles Past Empty said...

Oh man...this makes me want to SWIM SO BAD!! Dang.

Ok, love the paddles and after using them you will feel stronger. You will notice your pull is stronger and it will improve your stroke!! The fins, I can take them or leave them but they do really help you strengthen your kick, which will help you build endurance, which you will need. So I would say make sure your Master's coach knows you are tri training-emparative that he knows this, the workout should vary for you vs. those training for indoor swim meets-and then trust the workouts that the coach gives you!! They know what they are doing!!!

I am so jealous and proud of you and excited for you!!! The pool is where my heart is and I think you and I are like BFF's. Totally.

Wish I was there to join you for your swims!!!!!

Oh and I would much rather be the fastest girl in the fast lane...let the boys be ahead a LITTLE to push me to go faster but I will SMOKE any girl who gets in my lane. =)

Carole Sharpless said...

Swim aids can be very helpful, but as long as the person is using them correctly. I've seen a lot of people really hurt their shoulder by pulling improperly with paddles. Always be sure you are reaching straight out in front of you, palm flat, then pulling down (almost 90 degree angle) to "catch" the water, and then past your body. The catch in swimming is the critical part.
To help feel this, when using paddles, always ensure the water is pressing against the paddle. Anytime your hand or wrist tilts, you're no longer pressing the paddle into your hand against the water. Good way to start feeling it. Once you get this feel with paddles - you've gotten a critical part to swimming form that most struggle with.

Stay with it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...