Tuesday, March 20, 2012

St. Patty's Day 5k!

Snow, Rain, Wind and FREEZING temperature did not take the fun out of our St. Patty's Day RUN!


We had so much fun.  I was excited to see Kerrie go after her PR that she had been working so hard for and to catch up with Kim from out of town.  I haven't seen Mel in ages and it's always great to see Zoe and cutie-patootie, Goober!  I also secretly hid our dear friend, Chelsea at my house so she could surprise everyone with her presence on race day...I'm such a giver.  I was happy to see Alma and  Tiffany too...who I have met but not spent much time with and they are a BLAST.  We have a great group of runners/bloggers around here...great group of ladies!


Julie, Carrie, Jayne, Mel and Chelsea
Liz (thanks to her hubby for the bib), Jamie, Julie and me

I did not actually plan to run this race...I probably have some commitment issues.  I knew I would go out to see everyone, but never actually registered for the race.  I was able to get one from a friend who's husband wasn't able to run...so I ran as a 34 year old male...that is tough age group to compete in!

Chelsea and I stayed up way late and enjoyed some wine, great race fuel...thanks Chelsea for that!  Woke up early so we would have plenty of time to put snow tires on go to Starbucks since I knew it would be a cold morning!  We decided to park at the transit center and take the Link Rail system into town so we wouldn't have to worry about parking. 

We were the first ones at the race and waited under the awnings of "Hal of a Sub"...I love saying that...makes me laugh!  People started showing up so the pictures began...oh yes!  We chatted...tried to stay warm!

Mel and I keeping each other warm!
Time to go race!  I didn't have any expectations for this 5k.  It would only be my 3rd 5k to run and I have not been running much so it was up to my legs, fate...and whatever else...maybe some luck of the IRISH?  The day before I had ran a very slow 4-miler...so who knew what would happen?

Freezing feet....did someone say BROOKS?
Mostly I just wanted to have a good time and try to enjoy the new course that had 1-mile hill at the end...I didn't think there would be any pot of GOLD at the end of that uphill rainbow?  I started running with Mel's sister Jayne who I have known since elementary school.  Always fun catching up with friends!  That's what RACE DAY is all about! 

I picked up my pace, turned my music on and let my legs take me as fast as I could.  I felt great and was enjoying my music, seeing my friends on the turn around and all the other runners. People watching at a race if fun, especially on themed race!  People are very creative...and a little scary at the same time!

Got to the final hill...at the place where we usually go downhill to the finish we had to climb...we were so close!  I was tired but pushed it until the finish line...and just like that a sweet PR happened!  Almost a minute...woohoo!  I love when I PR...especially when it wasn't expected!

Garmin Time: 27.58
Distance: 3.13
Pace: 8:56

If I had race under my name...I would have been 14/251!  Pays to pay for a race under your name! 

Me, Tiffany, Chelsea, Mel, Kerrie, Lolo, Zoe and Goober!
We all went to lunch and waited forever to get our food!  Oh well...more time to chat with friends and talk to friends who have done triathlons.  Seriously...you mention you have done a TRI...and watch out for a million questions!  Kim's husband was a great sport and I think I even convinced him to come race REV3 Portland with us!  Kim's coming out to support me anyways...why wouldn't he join in the fun?  We will see! 


Such a fun group of ladies!
Chelsea and I had a little photo session on the link...those probably need their own post!



This friend also like to use my phone to write status updates on my facebook like this one...
"My name is Jill and I am a dolphin!!"  She is funny!




Camera and us...funny things do happen!

With all that said!  Race days are a funny thing!  I never want to commit to them and I question why the heck I do them sometime, but then they end up being such GREAT days!  Seeing friends that I don't get to see too much, catching up, doing something that is FUN and doing it together!  There is always many laughs no matter what! 

Thanks ladies for making Saturday such a fun day! 

What RACE is up next? 
Will someone make sure to register me?

7 comments:

ajh said...

What fun to have so many people to race with! And good job on the time!

Did you ever buy a wetsuit and if so did you get full sleeved or sleeveless? I am having such a hard time with this.

Unknown said...

Very sneaky, getting your PR for free, hehe. Good for you!

S is definitely considering your tri, he's waiting for the final 4th grade baseball schedule to come out to make sure T doesn't have a conflict that day.

Absolutely awesome to see you.

Unknown said...

Ever eaten at Hal of a Sub? Super yummy! Good for you getting a PR. I always love the race the day of, but never like paying for it or the training leading up to it. I think you have the right idea just letting it happen. But that's just me. :)

Unknown said...

Oh, and also, I saw that super cute shirt you had on (the long sleeve grey one), where the heck did you get that. It is adorable.

fancy nancy said...

Aww you girls are so cute!! What an awesome support system of runners you have!!! Congrats on your PR!! Sounds like you got your pot of gold!!

Marlene said...

Looks like one fantastic morning!! And HOLLA congrats on the unexpected PR. Your tri training is making you a stronger runner too. :)

Ricole Runs said...

Yay for a fun race, despite this crazy insane weather!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...