Monday, September 6, 2010

A last minute HALF MARATHON=PR

Who knew that a last minute half marathon would be my day to PR!  I honestly had no plan of PR'ing...I'm more of a "just go out and enjoy the run, kind of gal", but since Mel gave up her chance to PR to run with me so I could PR...I figured I should take her up on it.  Plus it would be our first time running together and on our run we also realized it was our 4th half marathon!  It was such a fun morning from the meet-up all the way to the drop-off!  FUN DAY!

We met up with Amanda and Jess, who were running the 4 mile run.  Thanks to Amanda for driving and taking away all the nerves that Mel and I get for races since we are nervous nelly's and want to get to races way before start time.  Actually we were very calm, which made it even more enjoyable.  Since running my FULL marathon, half's don't make me as nervous and this was a flat course so it wasn't anything I was scared of.  The race started near the Winerys in Woodinville, which I have never been too.  It was a very low key, smaller setting than some of the races which is nice and helps keep the nerves away.  It was fun to run into Shelby, a local blogger.  We took some pictures, registered for the race, stopped for a potty break and then started the race

Registering so we can be LEGIT!!!
Mel, Amanda and Jess before the RACE!

You know who we are!


Because this is what we BLOGGERS DO! 


Amanda getting ready!

I  didn't get the left knee memo...

Shelby, Mel and I...local bloggers are so fun!

In front of us!

In the middle (When my PR was 2:10)

Behind us...
I was really looking forward to running with Mel, since we never have enough time to just chat and what better place to catch up than over 13.1 miles.  She was a great coach and we were running at a great pace.  My plan was to run the first 2 miles at a fast pace, since you end up doing that anyways, then slow it down until the last 2 miles, but we actually ended up running the same pace the entire time.  It was fun to run by the end of the Burke-Gilman Trail, where I ran a few of my LONG runs and see where it connected with the Snohomish River trail...I had always wanted to see where that was, perfect timing.  ***Some of you know that I struggle with stomach issues on my long runs and I have been trying to figure out what fuel I can use to not let that happen and today was the day to try some honey sticks that I had purchased at Pike Place Market.  It's small and natural and worked great.  I took it around mile 5 or 6 and it never bothered my stomach at all.  I have never really struggled with stomach issues on half's but gu's and stuff don't make me feel good so I was so glad that this didn't cause any issues.  I might have found my ANSWER.*** 

(I never get action shots while running...THANK Mel for taking these...always fun to see action shots)

Action shot...Mile 9 or was it 8?

Adjusted the clothing at the end of mile 8 or 9

Love this SHOT!  About to enter MILE 10

As we turned to up to the University of Washington Bothel campus we saw the leaders of the pack flying by and boy they were flying.  Wish I could have headed back that way with them, but we had a few miles to run before we got to that point.  We came to the one MAJOR hill in the course which was about 150 feet to climb, we picked up our knees and used our arms as momentum and made it up.  We got a few compliments in the next few miles about our matching outfits and our amazing RUNNING SKIRTS, love them.  It was warming up so we had to take our long sleeves shirts off, which is hard to do when your running and you have to take off your garmin and iPOD, but after a few minutes of wresting and my great coach holding my water, it was a success, really...since kids nothing is easy...even taking of a shirt off!  I love the part of the race when you are headed back, I put my iPod on so I could keep up our pace, music really helps me and since I typically start to lose my go-power around mile 10...figured it was time to plug-in.  It was perfect and it helped me keep up our pace.  As we were getting through the last few miles and I looked at my watch I was thinking that I might really be able to PR.  ***My current PR was 2:10 and that was my 1st half, my 2nd was 2:15 and my 3rd was 2:16 so I really didn't think I would be able to do much...from the pattern of my prevous time I should've ran a 2:18 or so!!!***  I was feeling good, in fact the entire run I had felt GREAT, I mean...I was tired, but not miserable and I was really enjoying the run and having my friend beside me who was helping me meet a goal that I didn't think I could meet.  That's what makes running so great...constantly surprising, even ourselves! 

We ran into our friend Shelby as we came into the last 2 miles.  I met Shelby when we ran our first marathon at Seattle Rock-n-Roll.  She is a sweet gal and it's so great running into friends at races.  I knew I could push through the pain for 2 more miles...EMBRACE the PAIN because it will be over and I will be happy I pushed it once I cross that finish line.  It was great to pass mile marker 12 and I was so excited that we were getting so close.  We came up to the back of the Brewery, where the finish line was and I knew it was just around the corner.  I tried to keep up the speed asI followed Mel up that slight incline as we turned the sharp corner...(the last mile always seem to last FOREVER) and I saw my friend and her husband walking back to their car...that was fun and random.  A little ways to go and we turned the corner to head to the finish line and saw Amanda and Jess waiting for us...

Almost there...

This is almost the exact moment where I told Mel...I am dying...I guess I lied!

...we ran and were almost done and I told Mel...I'm dying...she told me I was strong and I we ran around and saw the finish line and it said 2:02...Mel looked at me and said....Lets beat 2:03 and we sprinted, raised our hands together and crossed the finish line for an amazing 8-min PR!  It seriously made me want to cry when I saw 2:02...I was thinking I would come in at 2:08 or something like that...but to cut that much time of my PR...was AWESOME and to enjoy it and feel good the entire run was even better.  I never hit a wall or felt an ounce of doubt enter my mind, I never thought I couldn't do it...I just kept running!  It was so much fun running with Mel, FINALLY!  She allowed me to run at a pace I could handle, but also pushed me to keep it up...it really helped.  THANK YOU MEL!  It was a great, FIRST, RUN together.  You really helped me and I sure appreciate it, FRIEND!

This race was fantastic for many reason, It was fun to do something with Amanda, since she will be moving soon, the race was very well organized and the volunteers where so GREAT and in such fantastic spirits, the people running where nice, the course was very well marked and it's fun to see the new sites.  I loved our outfits, it only cost me $25....since I didn't buy the t-shirt, it was a very good size race as far participants go and wasn't too big, plenty of water stops, easy parking and plenty of port-potties at then starting/finish line area...none on the race route, that could have been dangerous!

I still can't believe I PR'd and now that might make me re-think my plans for the You Go Girl!  Jamie and I are running it together and maybe we will run with Mel and Tonia and go for a sub-2!  WE will see, that will be a different course, but you never know what can happen.

And the sweat to prove my new PR

I love to sit after a PR

Classic!

I have said it before and I will say it again, running with friends is so much fun.  This whole bloggy thing has shocked me and continues to amaze me because of all the friendships I have made with old and new friends!  I can't explain it...but it's amazing. Some people think blogging is silly and/or a waste of time, but it's days like this, when your bloggie friends are there cheering you on, pushing you, CONGRATULATING you on a BIG PR day...that others could never understand...Thanks to all of you for your encouragement and your Woot-Woot's on Facebook, daily mile, texting and email...it means a lot to me.  It's the little things that make a huge difference...THANK YOU

It's fun to think that Mel and I started in elementary school together and went all through school together, but we were not near as close as we are now and that's all  because of running!  Who knew that all those years ago she would get me to a PR...  Life is sweet! 

Always a highlight after a half marathon with friends!

29 comments:

H Love said...

Yeah Jill!!! So inspiring! What a fun day....you rocked it! So glad you tummy made it! Woo Hoo! Flat sounds dreamy...I think I may want to make the trek over for this next year! Would be so much fun!

Ewa said...

Now that is some PR, WOW! Congrats!
Love all the smiling pictures, especially the over the head one.

Jennifer said...

Wow! Great PR! Great things come when we least expect them!

Julie said...

You are awesome! That is a huge PR:) Congrats to you!

abbi said...

Congrats on the huge PR! I can't do any of the gels either but so far GU Chomps work for me.

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

wow!! Congrats!! That's an amazing PR!! :D

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

So super proud of you! Congrats on the awesome PR. Can't wait to run with you in just 19 days!!! And that headband looks fabulous on you!

Sherry @ Life from my persective said...

Holy Moly - that's an awesome PR! Congrats on your run... sounds like it was a good one! Yall did look cute in your skirts too - and I always want to buy that Nike top!

Marlene said...

CONGRATS JILL! Looks like you two had sooo much fun and you totally rocked it! MASSIVE PR! Woohoo! AND you looked great doing it! ;)

Kerrie said...

This post almost made me cry. Love my running buddies and can't wait to run with everyone again.

Congrats on your PR! You rock!

Bethany + Ryan said...

i think this kind of supports my theory of laid-backness...see what you can do when you have no pressure? AWESOME! AMAZING! cingratualtions!!!! great report! Proud of you, girl!!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Huge PR! Congrats!

Julie D. said...

CONGRATS, Jill!!! 2:02?!! what a killer PR. You can totally break 2 hours at You Go girl!!! you can do it!!

Anonymous said...

"I'm dying!"

"No, you're not!"

hahaha sounds like the kind of exchange that moms around the world are familiar with. hehe, if you're not bleeding then you're FINE!

You did awesome. Last minute is the way to go, so it seems!

Stacie said...

Congrats Jill!!! That is awesome. I'm so happy for you. I got all emotional reading your excitement after your PR. I hope I get a chance to run with you and the other girls again soon. My friend Tress, and I will be doing our first TRI this Saturday in Woodinville.

Valerie said...

Congrats! GReat post.

Anonymous said...

WOw, awesome PR. Love this race review... too much fun. Found your blog via Mel's... am a new follower. Love your post!

Rachel said...

congrats Jill! that's a HUGE pr! looks like it was a ton of fun : )

track coach and adorable wife said...

Congrats on the huge PR. I know you can rock it at the You Go Girl! Can't wait to meet you! Hopefully you can add another super cool bloggy friend to the books!

Tricia said...

whoohooo congrats!

Jodi H said...

Congratulations Jill!! Great job out there! Is there anything in particular you really appreciated when Mel was pacing you? The reason I am asking is I am pacing a friend in her first 1/2 marathon on Sunday.

5 Miles Past Empty said...

Awesome awesome job!!! You did so amazing!!! I am so glad you decided to do this race! And now, NOW sub 2 can be your goal!!!

I love the pic of you taking a picture of your self! Hilarious!

It is so crazy how blogging has truly been such a huge part of my life since I started just over a year ago! It is really unbelievable!

You are awesome!!!!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

RELAXED and fun!! you did so great Jill, you never complained or let fatigue get to you. Your kept your head up and focussed on the positives.. Keeping your head and your heart in the race, in the RUN.. and look at the result..

And what a blessing for me to COACH a good friend to a PR!! It is amazing how fun it is to help others reach their goals. I really loved it!!

I would like a review of anything you think I did well and things I should work on.. I am a NEWBIE coach/Pacer, but after this race I think I may have found a niche.

Soooo fun! And how awesome are all the pictures!

Heather said...

Way to go on the huge PR, awesome job! And I love, LOVE the outfits.

Johann said...

Awesome PR, well done! Most of the best PR’s will happen when you least expect it. You had a great run. Very nice photos!

Mark said...

Congratulations!!!

saucony said...

You look like you really had fun! Nice post! I love it! :)

Courtney @ I CAN DO THIS said...

Jill that sounds so awesome! Way to go, girl. That's a great story for a great PR. Loved the recap of it too :)

mountain hardwear jackets said...

Great run! Keep it up, and keep inspiring others by your posts! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...