Thursday, April 22, 2010

18+ Miles and still Smiling!

Resting on the grass after running 18.22 miles...
Wow that was a GREAT run. It didn’t start out that way but it ended well. How can a PR day not end well, right? The first few miles I was a little out of it, my stomach hurt and the idea of having to run until 6 pm (started at 2:30) was getting to me. I quickly had to change my outlook and focus on this step and this mile and not worry about the rest. I was so happy to not have to run the entire way solo. My friend Diana asked me to run 9 with her today which worked out great. I would run 9 solo and meet her for the last 9. Breaking up a run does wonders on the MIND. Knowing that I had to 9 was great and running with her for the last 9 would change it up and keep my mind off the fact that I had already done 9.


Not fun stuff:
  • Running up “Nice” hill at mile 9.
  • Running “Mile-Long” hill twice. Could I do it at mile 13?
  • 18 miles, new mileage always makes me nervous.
  • At mile 11 I hit a mini-wall…Mental…Had to get through it and I did.
  • I had to skip my chiropractor appointment to get my run in…Would my HIP be ok?
  • Why does the last mile seem like 3?
Great Things:
  • Diana encouraged me up my 2nd date with “Mile-Long” hill of day at mile 13, which was so helpful and funny because I was encouraging her last week up the exact same hill.
  • Feeling some hip pain at mile 4 but it quickly went away…THANK GOODNESS!
  • Breaking up a LONG run makes a HUGE difference.
  • Running with a FRIEND who is running a distance PR is AWESOME.
  • Having energy at mile 17.60 to run a little faster to finish….feel so GOOD!
  • Finishing 18.22 miles and having me cell phone to post my success on Facebook…PRICELESS


So happy to be done.  We both distance PR'd!!! NICE!
Diana and I finished our run and rested on some grass before walking up “Nice” hill to get back to the gym to pick-up our kids. I cheered and yelled that I just ran 18.22 miles…I like to share my JOY! Long runs with friends is such a HUGE help to me…I can’t believe I waited so long to do it. One of the great things about running a distance like this is that it’s really allowing me to realize that I will and can run 26.2 miles. Knowing that after 18 miles I have 8.2 miles left…I can visualize that and before I really couldn’t. That really makes me value my training more and more.


Oh yah...that girl just ran 9 miles...furthest run ever!  You rocked it DIANA!  So proud of you!
I am so excited that I have my long run done before the weekend. I can go out with my husband tomorrow night without having to worry about my food intake for my long run and I don’t have to get up early Saturday….I am sleeping in! Getting the run in early…PRICELESS!

4.22.10 Stats:
1st Half (solo):
Miles: 9.22
Pace: 10:31
Time: 1:36:56
Calories: 1130

2nd Half (w/ Diana):
Miles: 9
Pace: 11:07
Time: 1:39:59
Calories: 1100

Total:
Miles: 18.22
Pace: 10:48
Time: 3:16:55

Thank you feet for getting me through 18.22 miles!

17 comments:

nancy m. said...

wow Jill!! you are doing awes ome! you are very inspirational. and just fyi, I don't know why you think you are slow, I can barely even run 1 mile!

Bethany + Ryan said...

great job! 18 miles is huge! you are well on your way to becoming a marathoner! :-)

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

So awesome Jill! Not much further now! You are totally going to rock this marathon!

Anne said...

You are awesome woman!! Wow...that's a lot of miles...I am impressed and inspired to complete my own 18 this weekend (even if it is an 18K :))! Thanks for your encouraging words.

Jen said...

Congrats on your mileage PR! That was a pretty sweet time too! Breaking up the run really does help and having a friend makes it so much more enjoyable. Have a great restful weekend!

Ewa said...

After that run you can eat totally guilt free whey you go out with your husband.
Congrats on your PR! You have a good reason to smile.
Have a great weekend.

Sherry @ Life from my persective said...

18.22 - What an awesome way to start your weekend!!!!

Diana said...

YES!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

CONGRATS Jilly!! Thank you so much for calling me, that totally made my night :) You have come so far and are in great shape with 2 months to go.

I left you a little high five today..

Hugs!

Julie said...

Hi Jill,
Wow, 18 miles...go you!! You look so happy:) I would be too if I survived 18 miles!! Nice work!

Karen said...

In a word.... AWESOME! Nothing better than mind tricks to get you through a long run!

ajh said...

Love how happy you are!

Kerrie said...

Nice job, Jill! Look at that pace! Holy cow. You are going to rock your marathon. Glad you had someone to run with -- definitely helps and makes it more fun!

Hoping we can run together next week!

MCM Mama said...

Great job on the 18 miles! I broke up my 20 the same way - 10 by myself, 10 with a friend. It was still hard, but it made it mentally easier.

Jennifer said...

I just ran my first marathon in Feb. It was hard and I still remember my first 18 miler. Ouch! But so very exciting. You are doing great and have the perfect attitude. Keep it up! Cheers!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Great job on that very long run! All of this training is going to make finishing your marathon easier!

5 Miles Past Empty said...

Whats up with your hip? I've been meaning to ask you. I so need to go to a chiropractor and see about my hip pain!

Great job with this run!!! Your pace is looking good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...