Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mercer Island Half Marathon

My mom and I have talked about running the Mercer Island Half Marathon on Sunday March 21st. It fits in with our marathon training and I know a handful of friends that are running it so thought I would look more into it. One of the best things my mom and I did when we were preparing for the Rock and Roll marathon was to drive the course...I am a very visual person so knowing the route really mentally prepares me and allows for no surprise hills. I really think it's one of the reasons we both really enjoyed the rock and roll half marathon. So we ventured out today in the rainy, true Washington kind of day to check it out. We had are map and my two boys in the back.
(Beware....if you are running this race and want to be surprised by the route and all its hills...don't read any further!)


We got to the starting point and were happy to see a downhill start...because of all the hills I thought to start downhill would be nice! It would be one of the last downhill we would see through much of our drive. The route is nice because it's on the outer road of the island so you see the water and some very nice homes. It's a very twisty and curvy route with many hills and a good size one at mile 11 and if you are like me...mile 11 is not the most energetic mile.


We came to the assumption that this will be a very challenging run for many reasons. One...we have 8 weeks to train which is enough time but with our lovely Washington weather its hard this time of year but we can to do it, Two...its so hilly! But hey, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger...right? Right? We both agreed we would feel so good to finish this half marathon. We haven't registered yet...probably put that off another week or so or before the cost goes up again. My mind is there...I think!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Sounds like a great challenge! Good luck!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Well I will toss out any ideas of PR and just have fun. Need to drive the course..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...