Friday, July 6, 2012

I'm so glad I'm not doing that...

Yah, those were the words I stated walking out of my first SPRINT TRIATHLON 3-years ago and I was referring to the Olympic distance.  As I was walking back to the car having enjoyed my first sprint tri, many of the Olympic participants were still running!  I remember thinking, I'm so glad I'm not doing that.

FAST FORWARD to present day and I'm 2-days out from my FIRST Olympic Tri.  Never say never.  I did the same thing after finishing my first half marathon by saying, "I will never do a full Marathon" but a year later I crossed the finish line to my first full, HA!  Clearly my words mean nothing at times? 

The work is hard, the pain can be great...but there is nothing better than the finish line to a hard race.  Medals, finish lines, they don't come easy, they take work and determination.


Sunday I will swim .90 miles, bike 25 and run 6.2!  I'm nervous, excited, and looking forward to what I can do.  The bike and run are FLAT, which seems nice...but with hills...you have UP and DOWN...not so much with FLAT.  I will let you know afterwards how I really feel.

For all my races I have always been trained and ready! Not so much this time...Maybe knowing that I KNOW I can do this, though it will be hard since I'm not as prepared as I feel I should be? I'm honestly looking forward to seeing what I can do, experience the distance, see if I would like to do a further distance and just get a feel for it.

The bike and run course

When I signed up for this race I swore I would do BRICK training...again, my words clearly mean nothing because I lacked in this.  Of course this week while I should be tapering I did 2 brick workouts...GO ME!  This training has lacked.  I really underestimated how hard it would be to find the time to train.  I'm not someone who wakes up early to train and envy all of you who do!  I would rather sleep, I wish this wasn't the case. 

My swim course

I did swim, I did bike and I ran...but nothing like I had planned, envisioned or hoped to do.  This has helped me to realize a half ironman and a full ironman will have to wait until both boys are in school full time.  I'm glad I learned that while training for an Olympic and not a Half!  I can get through the Olympic...but a Half would have been painful.  That's my realistic, rational side...we will see if I listen to it?

My goal is to finish FIRST overall, run a record braking 10k, become a PRO and win cash money and get sponsored so I can do TRI's for free around 3-hours!  Here are my specific (approx) goals:

Swim:
.90 mile ~ 28 minutes

Bike:
25 miles ~ 1-1/2 hours

Run:
6.2 miles ~ 1-hour

Feel free to Go to www.rev3tri.com and click the “Live” link. 
You can catch my splits and results in real time! 

I'm just excited to do this!  I love showing my my kids that when I'm training, I'm doing something, I'm setting goals and going after things I love!  One of the reasons I love REV3 is because they are family friendly.  Saturday they host the "Little Rev Adventure Race" that we do as a family and there will be awards and medals for the kids and they get to run through same finishers chute that I run through Sunday.  The kids can also join me as I cross the finish line for my tri.  I know my boys are going to love it.

It will also be great to be doing this with Harmony!  Thinking about everything her and her family have had to deal with in the last year...running with that in mind should put a lot of things into perspective.  THANKS, Harmony for going out of your comfort zone and doing this!  I needed a push and you did that...and now look at us! 

12 comments:

bobbi said...

GOOD LUCK!! I hope you have an amazing day!

Michelle said...

So excited for you ladies! It's going to be a blast. There are quite a few people from Walla Walla headed over to Portland. Should be nice weather for you!

Marlene said...

Girl, you have got this! Good luck!!!

Unknown said...

Go Jill!

So, I met a new blogger on 4th of July. I spent my time with her talking about your tri, since she is doing the same one (and I still hope to see you for dinner and/or the race...)

She kept saying the race was on Saturday. I was sure you said Sunday...

She just posted about her tri--it is Saturday at Hagg Lake, not Blue Lake. Boy do I feel like a dope.

Maggie Runs said...

Good Luck Jill! :) You will do great!

ajh said...

I am still laughing at what you crossed out! Yay you for doing an Olympic distance. I will honestly tell you I will never do that. But I also said I would never do a tri.

Have fun and good luck!

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

I am so excited for you and Harm! Can't wait to stalk you.

I said the same thing after all my sprint distance tris. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to do anything longer than that. Kind of ate my words!

Good luck friend!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Go get it Jill!! you will have a GREAT time and come back even stronger than you were before, as you have done every time you have reached beyond where you thought you could before.

(so not) SuperRunnerMom said...

Good luck, and have a great time! You are right - you are totally etting a great example for your kids.

H Love said...

OK you just made me cry!! I love that I have been able to connect with you and you have helped push me! See you very soon...I know you are going kill this race...and whiz by me! :)

Ricole Runs said...

I'm so excited for you! I wish I could come spectate. You're going to ROCK IT!

5 Miles Past Empty said...

Oh girl! Good luck!! I'm going to try to follow your splits!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...