Monday, September 20, 2010

I'm a FRAUD!

...Well at least I feel like one sometime! Reading other running blogs and talking to other runners, it seems like everyone LOVES running ALL the time.  It's easy to think that the 20 milers you read about...sounded so easy.  I don't want to burst your bubble...but I have to be honest...I don't always LOVE running, in fact there are times that I feel like I have more BAD runs than GOOD runs.  Running never comes easy to me...it still doesn't.  Even after training for a marathon, running my 4th half marathon and PR'ing...it still doesn't come easy.  Running is not always something I want to do, I would rather sleep, eat and watch TV...all at once than run.  I want to sleep in, have coffee with my friends and lounge in my PJ's all day instead of lacing up my running shoes. 

After a week of not running and knowing I had a half marathon to to run I knew I needed to get a run in.  During my 4 mile run that turned into 7 miles, I realized that running has totally changed for me, as I am sure it has for most runners.  I started running to lose baby weight and then continued so I could eat the food I wanted and also to stay SANE, while raising 2 boys!  This might come as a shock to some of you...but I don't love every step I take in my runs or every breath I take to continue the run...what I do love...is getting out the stresses of the day...(lets be honest) of life.  I feel in control when I run, especially when my life at times seems uncontrollable.  I do it to overcome the very thing I always thought I couldn't do.  Every step, every breath...I am overcoming something that I couldn't do before.  I try to remember, it doesn't matter how long it takes me to get there...how I look (but it does help when I like my cute outfit), it just matters that I finish!  I get embarrassed when people are in ah and impressed with what I do, because honestly...it's just me...Running!  It doesn't seem like a big deal if I can do it, because if I can do it...anyone can do it.  I think people who want to run but don't because they are scared, would be shocked at what they could do if they just started.  We all started some where, right!

Was looking for a picture for this post...this one seemed perfect.  In the first mile of my FIRST marathon!  Great memories!  Setting out to do something I never thought I would!
I will say that the part about my run that I do love...is when I FINISH!  There is no better feeling, ever...even after a hard run.  Just the simplicity of going out and getting it done is enough to carry you to the next run!

18 comments:

Thomas Tan said...

Haha... you're not a fraud because you're true to yourself and you're not afraid to face challenges. This post should be entitled "I am an Athlete!"

Chelsea said...

I totally want to take this post and frame it. Or staple it on my forehead during my runs. :)

Rachel said...

jill, i can totally relate to this post! sometimes i ask myself why i'm still running, and sometimes i really don't know the answer. kudos to you for being honest - you have done some amazing things and are NOT a fraud!

Courtney @ I CAN DO THIS said...

Great post, Jill. I love it!

ajh said...

I agree a lot of the time it is the finish and how you feel after that is better than the actual running.

Mike Russell said...

Come on Jill, there are lots of people out there just like you. I love to train, but admit to not loving every workout. You are 100% normal!

Bethany + Ryan said...

you'd be a fraud if you lied about loving running all the time, lol. It took me years to say that marathon training/long runs were easy. They used to be daunting and I'd dread them! I ran for 7 years before running a marathon and once i started running marathons I'd say it started getting easier on #6 and then i really started loving them wholeheartedly after that. but you are right to say that the fnish ALWAYS feels good! You're completely normal!!

Ewa said...

but you know what? Having to work hard on your runs makes you appreciate your accomplishments more.
We don't value things that come easy so what I would say, embrace the difficulty. Cherish your accomplishments because you are overcoming your weaknesses.
Guess what I am doing now instead of running. :)

Marlene said...

I don't think any of us love it all the time... seriously! Heck, my favourite day of the week is Saturday because it's a rest day! LOL!

Awesome post/pics... you are amazing, girl!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

AMEN to everything you just said!!!

Kerrie said...

Finishing a run is my favorite part. You can look back and say, "Hey, look what I accomplished today," even if the dishes never get done and the laundry sits in the dryer. :D

Zoë said...

You don't have to love running 100% of the time to be a runner. ;) But yes, the finish is the GREATEST part of any run or race.

track coach and adorable wife said...

I so don't love every run I do. I really don't even consider myself to be a runner yet. I am still just training to be a runner and a triathlete, in race days maybe I am those things, but they are not how I define myself yet. Hopefully, when I have trained longer and completed more races I will feel I have earned those titles!

Q said...

You aren't a fraud! Running is HARD. It IS so much easier to curl up at home on the couch in front of the tv.

That's why not everyone runs. Maybe some people really do LOVE it. I can't say I'm one of them, but I am addicted (If that makes any sense?)

Misty said...

Thank you for this post. Sometimes I feel like everybody always loves to run and that's not the case for me. It just nice to know I'm not the only person who struggles.

Shelby said...

Jill you are fabulous!! I hate running all the time too! This morning I tried to run 5 miles on the treadmill and wanted to die at mile 3! Ah!

Mrs. Mom said...

Great post! I can totally relate!

Katye said...

Jilly, you're silly if you think anyone loves anything 100% of the time. Well except maybe cupcakes but we know that's a different story. All that matters is that you look happy in all your race pics =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...