A few of you had asked for some tips and things to pack for a relay. I will do my best to help. I was very concerned on what I would need and packed way to much, but I really had no idea what to expect.
Tips for running a 24 hour relay:
- Run 2 times a day, a couple times before the relay.
- Run a midnight run, if you can do it safely.
- (I didn't do either of these, but if you can it will help you better know what to expect)
- Pick a great TEAM!
- Have Fun!
- Enjoy it!
- Push yourself in your runs...it goes by fast.
What to pack:
- Plastic Ziploc bags to put your sweaty clothes in after running and don't open until you are ready to put them in the washer!!! This was HUGE! Stinky people, sweaty clothes...24+ hours in a van together...The Ziploc bags help a ton.
- 3 complete running outfits, socks and bra's too. (at least a new set for each run you have)
- Cozy clothes if you have time to change in between legs
- Hand towel, to wipe sweat from your face
- Baby wipes to wipe sweat from your body.
- Blanket and/or sleeping bag and a pillow. When you need to sleep you want to be cozy!
- Warm clothes for the evening, it gets cold, well at least here in the Northwest it does.
Food! This is a tough one. I brought too much and didn't eat much. You kind of eat because you know you need too, but you don't ever really feel like eating much. We went to dinner in between our 1st and 2nd legs and that was WONDERFUL! Pretzels where a hit and yogurt for breakfast. Bring whatever you think you might need. Energy bars are great since you need to have energy most of the time and they aren't a huge meal. I had one before a couple of my runs which was nice.
I am sure I will think of more after I post this, but for now...here it is. Hope it helps. If you have any other tips and/or suggestions please leave a comment with your great info.